Friday, December 18, 2009

I Don’t Care How Hard It Rains, I’m Going Out for a Drink with Hans…

The first day I actually made plans to do more than wander around Bussum (a cute, quaint, little town) the weather was decidedly Dutch. Now, whenever you visit the Netherlands you have to be ready for rain, it is a given. But it was actually storming, thunder, pouring rain, the whole nine yards. I made a few calls and pushed my plans in The Hague back a bit. I didn’t mind the delay because I was hoping that Erin was going to feel better so she could join us for a drink. I also knew that Hans was at his brother’s birthday party. Basically I was in no rush to sit on the train for over an hour feeling like a Shih Tzu that was dropped in Bethesda Fountain by a startled socialite.

Erin and Sytze did try to get me to give up and we could watch Weeds, play a game, drink the Moonshine I brought or work on making wedding programs, but I was determined to go hang out in The Hague. I lived for two years with that crazy rain and wasn’t about to drop my plans to see a friend leaving for Algeria because it was raining in Holland. After about 2 hours the rain finally let up just long enough to not get lost on the way to the station.

Once I got to The Hague it was basically raining sideways and Richard was already waiting for Hans and me at the Grote Markt without an umbrella. I’m not sure how long Richard was there by himself, but when I called to say I was at Centraal Station he decided to walk in my direction. Just as he ran into me after making his way from awning to doorstep to any other covered area, it starts to hail. It was August. Only in Holland would it hail and rain like that in August and only Richard would be wearing linen in that type of weather.

Eventfully we get back to the Grote Markt and Hans arrives just moments later. Due to the rain and the lack of the appropriate number of beer carts for they event there that night we decide that we are going to go back to Richard’s. This was just the beginning of story filled night.

No comments:

Post a Comment